Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Compassion

With everything going on in the world lately, this word has constantly been on my mind.

But it's more than a word, isn't it? It's a way of life.

I can't believe people are so ignorant. I can't believe that people are so desensitized to everything that they've lost all empathy and compassion.


My main goal as a mother is to raise my son to be empathetic, compassionate, and kind. He's only 1, it's too early to tell if it's working, but I hope that it's being ingrained into his soul.
Each night as he falls asleep on my chest I kiss his soft hair and whisper that he must always be kind, and that I hope he grows up to be the most loving, compassionate person he can be.

It scares me how much we are exposed to as social media is so readily available. As a child I had no exposure to these things, and I'm scared that it's going to be impossible to filter what my son sees. I'm not talking about completely sheltering him from the world, I want him to know that these things happen because there are and always will be evil people in this world. But I do not want him to be exposed to the hateful, horrible, ignorant and bigoted things so many people say.

I feel lucky to have been born into a country where people are allowed to say what they feel about anything and everything... but at the same time I wish everyone would just shut the fuck up and keep their close minded opinions to themselves.

Of course I can't force people to keep their idiocy in check... but what I can do is continue to raise Carter with love, compassion, and empathy, and hope that he will grow up to be someone who thinks for himself, who has an open mind and more importantly an open heart. If his personality as it is right now is any indication, he will be the most compassionate little boy around. And that makes me proud already.

No comments:

Post a Comment